Home What's New Message Board
Select Destination Site Search
cjb - 2020 Grower Diary Point your RSS aggregator here to subscribe to this Grower Diary.

Show Entries in

Grower Diary Menu
  Back to Previous Page
List Other Grower's Diaries
Submit to Your Own Diary

Click on a thumbnail picture below to see the full size version. 24 Entries.
Sunday, March 15 View Page
I'm back for '20 after a step back in '19. To recap, brought a kin to the state fair last year to add one of their ribbons to my collection. However, the decision to grow in flag and lackluster early weather kneecapped my season and I ended up with a pumpkin half the size of my PB. Got most of the garden cleared out early, added some 'paca poo, and threw on a cover crop. Things have thawed out in back temporarily after a nice warm stretch, but temps have dropped back into the seasonal 30s-40s range. It has been dry, and I was able to get some soil samples pulled and should drop them off at the U on Tuesday after letting them dry out a bit (assuming the testing lab is open still). I'm on the fence about exactly what I'm going to grow. I had a few conferences scheduled for May-June, one of which has been cancelled so far, so I may go for the 1810s. No second plant this year, no fooling around with making crosses. Pick a prospect and self it is the name of the game.
Wednesday, March 25 View Page
Test seeds are up. Only planning on starting 2 this year. Added foam helping to keep everything nice and toasty.
Wednesday, March 25 View Page
Shelter at home pumpkin science for the kiddos. Growing 2 seeds, one in the starting area, one just on the window sill.
Friday, March 27 View Page
Picture 2 in our pumpkin science series. Soil test is back, need to up OM the most (at 2.2%). Will have to get compost in a few weeks, other amendments either on hand or ordered. Biggest add other than the compost is adding in some perlite.
Saturday, April 11 View Page
I'm still waiting on the compost I paid for to show up. Perlite was delayed by a week but is here now. Snow forecast does not make my happy and I hope it's overstated and melts fast if it does show. Otherwise, I have everything I need to amend now and want to get the coils out ASAP. I'm impatient and started a seed today. I plan to stagger the germination attempts and see if I can get by without double planting or not.
Monday, April 13 View Page
The abomination. I guess life finds a way? Until I kill it in a few days at least.
Friday, April 17 View Page
1810 looks good so far! The mutant test seed...its there. Started a backup this AM. Compost should come today.
Saturday, April 18 View Page
Cables in! Still need to do a good deal of tilling, but am incorporating 2 cu yards mushroom compost, 10 cu ft perlite, 5 lb feather meal, and a bit of borax. Letting the seedling soak up some natural rays this afternoon.
Friday, April 24 View Page
The news said the upper atmospheric weather conditions are switching to a warmer long term trend. Solution? Plant out. Was going to wait until Saturday but forecasted rain for today disappeared. Erected structure for phase 2 hot house as well. 2112 backup is up but I am a klutz and tore off a cot removing the shell. Started some backup backups yesterday.
Saturday, April 25 View Page
Installed the drip irrigation system today. Added a few drip lines, which secondaries should all be parallel to. Added a few valves so system is going to have a few zones for early/late season.
Tuesday, April 28 View Page
0.92 inches of rain today. Thankfully temps stayed reasonable. Unfortionately after the rain my heating cables are tripping the outlet. Will troubleshoot when its light out, hope think sort out when things dry off.
Saturday, May 2 View Page
Nice weekend temps. Looks to be cooling down next week somewhat after a rainy spell. Backups are doing OK in their pots for now.
Tuesday, May 5 View Page
The backups
Friday, May 8 View Page
Like most everyone on the eastern side of the country, were contending with record near cold temps. Thankfully, we've had good or forecast to have good daylight sun. Forced work from home means I can wait to uncover the plant till the sun is fully on it in the AM.
Thursday, May 14 View Page
Phase 2 hoop house is up, tomatos are in the ground. Warm weather is in its way!
Thursday, May 14 View Page
The 1810.
Thursday, May 14 View Page
Decided to put one of my 1937 Werner self backups out in the garden since the 2112 is really struggling. Have two if these beautiful starts going.
Sunday, May 17 View Page
3" of rain today. Thankfully it was spread over 24-36 hours and we really were getting to the point where we needed it. Unfortunately, cables are shorting out again. At least overnight temps are around 50 now. Hot air, 60 degree nights next week?
Tuesday, May 19 View Page
The 1810--getting closer to vining. Hopefully by the end of the week with the warmer weather.
Tuesday, May 19 View Page
The backups to the backup.
Monday, May 25 View Page
Got my fence up today.
Monday, May 25 View Page
2019 state fair backup (1937 werner X self). Outgrew its hut today, not that that's saying much.
Monday, May 25 View Page
1810 Werner should touch down in the next day or two. Slower going than I had hoped but the vine is thick.
Sunday, May 31 View Page
1810 Werner, unleashed. Current temp of 61 is the lowest in the foreseeable future, so the hot house came down. Hoping to start seeing some secondary growth. Backup has a wee female flower on her tip, need to figure out what to do with that plant.


Top of Page

Questions or comments? Send mail to Ken AT bigpumpkins.com.
Copyright © 1999-2020 BigPumpkins.com. All rights reserved.