The 2020 season is now under way. We had a wet spring so I held off working the soil as long as I could until it had a chance to dry out some. For the first time I will have a second patch to grow in this year.
This was last weekend, the day I picked to do all my patch prep. It made for a long day, actually a long weekend out in the sun. Both patches are ready to go.
This year I am going orange. It would be nice to get a Howard Dill Award so that will be my goal this year. I'm going with the 477 Buglio (923 Gouin X 681 Gansert) in one patch and for the other patch it will be either the 666.5 Gansert or the 907 Young,
They are all up and going now. Both 477 Buglio's and the 666.5 Gansert look great! The 907 Young was showing no signs of life after 4 days and the seed coat was starting to get a slight bit of mold. I figured it probably wasn't going to make it so I tried to experiment with it. I removed the seed coat completely and soaked the seed in a 9 parts water - 1part 3% hydrogen peroxide / seaweed solution for 15 minutes. Wrapped it in a new, very slightly damp paper towel and sandwich bag. Threw it back in the germinator box at 88° and a day and a half later it popped to life! The 477's and the 666.5 were planted today. I'll wait a few more days on the 907 since its a few days behind.